Two months before your move
- Get moving quotes if you are planning on using professional movers.
- If you’re doing it yourself, be sure to reserve moving trucks.
- Sort and purge. Go through every room in your house and decide what you want to keep and what you can get rid of.
- If applicable, speak to your children’s current school and new school about transferring records.
- If you’re able, prepare your new home for the move by painting, steam cleaning, etc.
One month before your move
- Change your address with the post office– you can do this online
- Change you address with the IRS – you can also do this online
- If you’re moving out of state or a few towns over, be sure to contact all doctors and dentists to receive or transfer records. Ask these professionals for any recommendations in your new area and if your prescriptions transfer.
- If you’re moving out of state, you may need to change bank accounts.
- Make arrangements for your pets the day of the move. Can they hang out at a relative’s home that day? Will you set up a bedroom in the new house and keep them in there with the door closed while you move everything else in? Will they go to a pet sitter?
- Separate and make an inventory list of valuables. Instead of putting them with a mover or on a truck, you may want to drive them to the new place on your own, or put them in the care of a trusted relative.
- Begin cleaning rooms that have been packed up or are emptied.
One – Two weeks before your move
- Contact all utility companies and change your service to your new address. It often takes a couple of weeks to get an appointment set up, so doing this early will ensure you won’t be left without electricity or cable.
- Make sure you take the days needed off from work.
- Contact the moving company or truck rental to confirm your reservation.
- Make child care arrangements for the day.
- Make arrangements for trash disposal.
- Make sure stray items are packed. Only necessities should be out and packed the night before.
- Do a final walk through of the home. Check every cabinet and closet one last time.
- Empty, clean and defrost your refrigerator.
- Ensure your new utilities have been connected.
- If using a moving company, check all belongings closely to make sure there is no damage.
- Replace locks on your new home.
Cannot read feed. Please verify the vanity key is correct.A feed could not be found at http://rss.realsatisfied.com/rss/office/Weichert-Realtors-Expert-Advisors. A feed with an invalid mime type may fall victim to this error, or SimplePie was unable to auto-discover it.. Use force_feed() if you are certain this URL is a real feed.